Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sun Sep 22 12:27:10 EDT 2002

Quoting Eric Estabrooks <eric at urbanrage.com>:

> Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>
> >--On dimanche 22 septembre 2002 15:45 +0200 "Mr. Simix"
> <simix at datacomm.ch>
> >wrote:

> >>Okay, but we can say whenever PAM is involved, then only plain can be
> >>used, right?
> >>

> >yes, because you cannot be sure to have access to plain text passwords
> >using pam, and you need plain text passwords to do digests
> authentications.
> >

> It should be possible to write a pam module (or extend an existing one)
> to include other mechanisms beside plain, if like you said you had plain

My understanding of PAM is that you can't retrieve the password.  You simply
pass it a user, password and service and PAM tells you whether it is
correct/allowed or not.  I haven't checked the PAM API, so maybe there is a
way.

> text passwords available on the server side.  Of course there might be
> an additional restriction imposed by the sasl interface in that it might
> only present plain to the pam interface or the likes of saslauthd and
> try to resolve others internally or drop them if configured for using pam.

Assuming that youy can get PAM to return the plaintext password, you'd have to
write a PAM auxprop plugin.  SASL only uses auxprop to fetch the plaintext
passwords (as opposed to checking the validity, which it does via saslauthd).

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127