sieve vacation script problem

Wernig Markus listener at wernig.net
Fri Sep 27 17:17:45 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 21:42, Vittorio Manfredini wrote:
> I put it :
> postmaster: user
> or
> postmaster: user at domain
>
> but now the system is not more trying to send the back the answer.

Ciao Vittorio

As far as I understand it, you really should set this to
"postmaster: postmaster", as this is the address you would want replies
to. Just think of another filter or vacation software on the other end
replying to the sender, thus creating a potential infinite loop.
The "postmaster" alias is used by sieve as From: header for _rejected_
mails. The _vacation_ replies are headed by "From: <rcpt user>". (AFAIR)

So I would look into /var/log/mail (if that is the mail.* syslog target)
for MTA messages concerning the outgoing mail, as this looks like a MTA
problem to me. You might want to turn up the MTA debug level if
necessary.

hth /m