User mailbox renames

Roland Pope rpope at jade.co.nz
Tue Oct 1 00:50:46 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Murchison" <ken at oceana.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 12:15 AM
>>The problem I have then is
> >that I lose the original subscriptions and seen states?
> >I can fiddle the user subscription file, but the seen states are stored
in
> >a skiplist DB and I'm not sure how to go about converting this file for
the
> >renamed mailbox.
>You shouldn't have to convert it.  Each mailbox has a unique id which stays
>constant once the mailbox is created.  Just copy /var/imap/user/f/foo.seen
>/var/imap/user/b/bar.seen.

The problem I had with seen state appeared to go like this.

1) cp -a /var/spool/imap/user/foo -> /var/spool/imap/user/bar
2) Create new user 'bar'
3) reconstruct -rf user.bar
4) Login as 'bar' and all the flags and seen states are reset.

The problem resolved itself when I did it as follows.

1) Create new user 'bar'
2) rm -Rf /var/spool/imap/user/bar
3) cp -a /var/spool/imap/user/foo -> /var/spool/imap/user/bar
4) reconstruct -rf user.bar

I guess creating the new mailbox after I had copied the old user's files was
overwriting the cyrus.* files and resetting the UID for the INBOX.

>You'll also want to move the user's quota file(s) and any Sieve scripts.

 Thanks, yes, I am already migrating quota and sieve files successfully

>The biggest problem you're going to have is that the ACLs on the user's
mailboxes
>are going to have to be changed so that the new user has access to them.

As for ACL's, I am now only copying the users top level mailbox and doing
imap renames on all the subfolders.
Then, before I delete the old mailbox, I list all the ACL's on 'user.foo'
(except the one for 'foo') and add them to 'user.bar'.

Thanks
Roland Pope