Unexplained heavy loads lately on Cyrus servers

Jure Pecar pegasus at telemach.net
Wed Oct 2 16:51:16 EDT 2002

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 16:34:31 -0400
twk <twk at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> In the last 2 weeks or so, both sets of servers have been running under a
> much larger load than usual, which does not seem to correlate with any
> know events (significantly more accounts, network problems, etc.). We have
> added more memory to some of these systems, and sometimes an additional
> drive just for swap.

Hmm ... i can add a 'me too' ... i'm running cyrus 2.0.16 on a free webmail
service and in the last few months the loadavg was jumping high enough for
the sendmail to stop accepting connections. Now i managed to move the MTA to
frondend MXes, but the load didnt drop as much as i expect it would ... it's
still hovering around 5. Since cpuload is about the same, this must be
related to some increased i/o activity.
Only half a year ago this same box was humming nicely with approx the same
nubmer of users ...

--

Jure Pecar