database types

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Oct 15 16:56:34 EDT 2002

Aidan Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 at 11:05 Rob Siemborski wrote to David Wright and...
>
> >On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, David Wright wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone explain what advantages and disadvantages one has from the
> >> different database types? And what is a skiplist anyway? I'm familiar
> >> with flat files and the sleepycat databases, but I've never heard of a
> >> skiplist.
> >
> >This has been addressed on the list several times, here's the summary:
> >
> >http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=2311
>
>   This says
>
>         >    --with-duplicate-db=DB  use DB (db3, skiplist) as a backend
>         > for the duplicate delivery db (Default: db3_nosync
>         )
>
>         db3_nosync, since the worst part about losing this is that someone
>         might get a vacation message twice.  It also needs fast lookups.
>
> which does not sound right, if "losing this" refers to the database.  What
> seems to happen in our environment is that all sieving stops working.  I
> have not tested everything, but right now deliver.db (db3-nosync) is broken
> and my sieve script which has a couple of "if" tests, a "redirect", and a
> "fileinto" now does nothing.

If the duplicate deliver database can't be initialized, then Sieve is
turned off (to prevent mail loops, etc).  The same _used_ to be true if
duplicate suppression was turned off, but now Sieve and duplicate
suppression are independent of one another (but they both depend on
deliver.db being available).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127