cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Thu Oct 17 18:34:20 EDT 2002

Hi.

I'm compiling cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl 2.1.9 from source and
everything has gone fairly good until now.  I don't understand why I get
this error message:

  Oct 17 18:25:04 localhost imapd[6803]: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
  Oct 17 18:25:04 localhost imapd[6803]: badlogin: box1.ourdomain [192.168.1.194] plaintext testuser SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed

In my /etc/imapd.conf I have:

  sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

and in /usr/lib/sasl/Cyrus.conf, I have:

  pwcheck_method: pam

saslauthd and all the Cyrus processes start and are running just fine.
The `mux' socket is in /var/run/saslauthd/ and everyone can read/write
to it.  (As per the FAQ.)

On a related note, why isn't Cyrus doing PAM authentiaction by itself?

Thanks,

Erik.