Distributed File Systems

Jeremy Rumpf jrumpf at heavyload.net
Sun Oct 20 17:19:13 EDT 2002

On Sunday 20 October 2002 04:07 pm, David Chait wrote:
> Jeremy,
>     While that would resolve the front end problem, in the end your mail
> partition would still be a single point of failure. I'm trying to find a
> way to do a real time replication of the mail partition between both
> machines to allow for a complete failover.

I almost forgot, one way to perhaps accomplish this using a variant of what I
posted before is to use EMC disk arrays and their ability to replicate over
single or multi mode fiber at long distances. The failover/remount procedure
of the second "buddy" node would mount the replicated EMC array instead of
the local shared disk subsystem.

I discounted this for two reasons:

1> Not everybuddy has two data facilities with dedicated fiber running between
them (I happen to actually work in a place that has this, but it's not
applicable to most).
2> Cost, Cost, Cost, and ummmmm Cost. Those EMCs are worth a nice house :).

Jeremy