how and why to use SQUAT?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Nov 14 13:05:08 EST 2002

Scott Douglass wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've seen a few messages about SQUAT on the list, and I'm wondering if I
> should use it. I've read through the source code (which is the only
> documentation I could find...) and it seems like it's intended to speed
> up searches in the messages. Does this work?

Yes.

> How do I set up the
> indexes? Do I need to add any squatter references in my cyrus.conf?

Yes.  Add squatter EVENT(s) for the mailboxes that you'd like to index,
assuming that the mailbox grows (so that new messages get added to the
index).  If the mailbox is static, just run squatter on it by hand.

I would only bother doing this for large mailboxes, since that is where
you will see the greatest performance gain.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127