autocreatequota - does it really work?

Voutsinas Nikos nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr
Tue Nov 19 13:42:05 EST 2002

Ken Murchison wrote:

> I'll let the CMU guys respond for themselves, but the createonpost
> feature seems problematic if your MTA doesn't verify the legitimacy of
> the recipient address before passing it to lmtpd.  The only way that
> lmtpd knows if a recipient is allowed or not is if the INBOX for that
> user exists.  With createonpost enabled, you'll get INBOXes created for
> every damn address that a spammer tries in your domain.
>
> Now, if you're MTA does user lookups in LDAP, MySQL, etc, then this is a
> non-issue.

Thanks Ken for pointing out this issue,

To clear things out, RFC 821 requires [or at least encourage] the
verification of recipient's address by the SMTP/MTA/MSA server:

          The second step in the procedure is the RCPT command.

             RCPT <SP> TO:<forward-path> <CRLF>

          This command gives a forward-path identifying one recipient.
          If accepted, the receiver-SMTP returns a 250 OK reply, and
          stores the forward-path.  If the recipient is unknown the
          receiver-SMTP returns a 550 Failure reply.  This second step of
          the procedure can be repeated any number of times.

Configurations where user's verification is not even attempted [eg due
to bad-implemented MTA] do not worth considering.

Now on the other hand, using the INBOX existence or not as a criterion
is problematic for the cases where the MTA is able to  verify the user
validity. I  understand that this solution is a byproduct of the fact
that cyrus-imap/cyrus-sasl provides many alternatives as far as the type
of the users' database is concerned [WITCH IS A GREAT FEATURE]. So
checking the existence of the inbox is just an easy way out, and "fail
safe".

Createonpost feature is not where the problem lies, but rather it
provides a solution. For the time being i think that if someone uses the
right combination of MTA and user's database, can take advantage of it.
[As Ken said :)]

Nikos Voutsinas