Skiplist / best practice for 2.1 branch

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Nov 18 17:57:29 EST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2002, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:
> > 1. Heavily tested and debugged AND patched BerkeleyDB 3.2, stay away
> >    from 4.x for now.  (i.e. use the ones from RedHat or Debian, not
> >    upstream).
>
> Red Hat now supplies 4.0.14, for example the db4-4.0.14-14.i386.rpm in

Then stick to Debian :-)

> Red Hat 8.0.  It appears to work OK for me, but we have small setups
> only here... maybe we have just not met the bug(s) yet??

Well, people report a good range of trouble with DB4 in this list, but not
many in DB 3.2.  Maybe too few of us still use 3.2, though.

> In general, though the statement "Use 3.2... ie. use the ones from
> RedHat or Debian ..." is confusing, because for Red Hat 8.x users, the
> current RH-supplied production release of these libraries is now
> 4.0.14.

I will keep that in mind.

> Are you recommending that RH 8.0 users running Cyrus should downgrade
> their BDB libraries to a 3.x RPM set for db3 (perhaps as supplied for

No. That will break the OS.

> What will it take to get some/all of these patches into 2.1.11 or 2.2
> or both?  Is that a worthwhile objective?  Or are these changes so

No. CMU is slowly making their mind about the patches while they study them,
but they will take a lot of time to leak into cyrus.  And I don't expect all
of them to, either.

> Linux-specific that they have would negative consequences if applied
> to a source tree used for a Solaris or *BSD build??  With Linux being

No negative consequences that I know of.  But increased resilience hides the
real problems sometimes.

> putting this info into a FAQ (as well as making it the default in 2.2)
> seems approriate.

It is in both AFAIK.

  Henrique Holschuh