Jaguar Mail.app (using GSSAPI) thrashes with cyrus imap 2.1.9

mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 19:44:02 EST 2002

On Nov 21 Ben Poliakoff wrote:

>tcpdump running on our cyrus server captures over *8000* imap packets
>going back and forth to the Jaguar Mail.app.  Finally Mail.app "quits
>unexpectedly".

Apple Mail is so nearly beautiful, but it has many horrible bugs (even in
10.2.1), and it's dog slow.

I've reported the two worst bugs I've found via their MacOS X bug form,
but have received no response. Till then I'd have to recommend Pine 4.44
or Mozilla 1.2 (OK it's not quite finally out, but the latest nightly :)
under MacOS X. Eudora 5.2 seems pretty good too. Haven't tried Mulberry
etc...

I'd really love to see Apple Mail GPL'ed--some of its UI is excellent (you
can drag folders across servers; how many other clients do that?), and
with a few more pairs of eyes on the source the horrible bugs should get
squashed.

Matt