RPM Upgrade Nightmare

Chris Dos chris at chrisdos.com
Fri Nov 22 16:21:54 EST 2002

Boy, what a nightmare this turned out to be.

I've been running the cyrus-imapd-2.0.16 rpms developed by Ramiro which
can be found here:
http://rmorales.modwest.com/rpms/cyrus-imapd/

and I figured it was time to upgrade to the 2.1.* series, so I got the
source rpm cyrus-imapd-2.1.10-3.src.rpm developed by Simon Matter from here:
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

I run RedHat 7.3 with Postfix rpms I get from
http://www.ea4els.ampr.org/~sjmudd/postfix/en/ so I thought I should be
compatible with the new RPMS.  I compiled the RPMS and installed them.
Then the nightmare started.  Imap was pretty much toast.  I couldn't get
authentication to work. I figured out later in the debuging process that
I needed db4.  So I installed the DB4 rpm from RH 8.0 distribution.  I
learned about the new saslauthd that needed to run but that I could put
in sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop in imapd.conf to have it use
/etc/sasldb2 instead of /etc/shadow.  I found the program that would
convert /etc/sasldb to /ets/sasldb2 so that was good.  So I got
authentication to work with the exception of cyradm.  Cyradm did not
like authenticating off of sasldb2.  Don't know why.  It had no problems
authenticating to shadow.

The RPMS have a difference in where they store the config directories:
2.0.16 keeps it's configs in /var/imap
while
2.1.10-3 keeps it's configs in /var/lib/imap

And how directory structure the mails box are located:
2.0.16 keeps the files under /var/spool/imap/user
while
2.1.10-3 keeps files under /var/spool/imap/a-z

In the end, I couldn't get the new cyrus rpms to find my mail boxes.  I
gave up and eventually got the old rpms working again and I needed to
rebuild my database to get it to work again with db3.  I'm sure I made a
few mistakes along the way so I'd like to find out how to properly
migrate to the new cyrus rpms.  Any thoughts, hints, or ideas would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

	Chris