My Take on Virtdomains so far

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 29 12:53:15 EDT 2002

   Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:18:49 -0300
   From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>

   On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Rob Siemborski wrote:
   > No.  Since LDAP can reentrantly call SASL, its not something we can really
   > put inside the same process as the IMAP server.  Ideally, we'd have an

   *Please* fix that issue... SASL is the type of lib we need to be reentrant,
   because it is likely to be used in various layers concurrently...

There are some things that need global state (for instance,
dlopen()ing the modules modifies global state). It is impossible for
libsasl to serialize this global state without directly depending on
libpthread---something that we really don't want to do, since it might
be linked into applications with different threading models.

I'd prefer it if the LDAP library didn't call sasl_client_init() but
required the application to do so (presumably the application can
guarantee it is only called once). But there doesn't appear to be a
good, low-lying technical solution.

Larry