[GAP] empty groupsOfNames in OpenLDAP

Jeffrey Eaton jeaton at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:47:37 EST 2016

We're not populating groups into GAP into our (deprecated) OpenLDAP environment, but for the legacy groups which we have in OpenLDAP, we treat member as MAY:

objectclass ( 2.5.6.9 NAME 'groupOfNames'
        DESC 'RFC2256: a group of names (DNs)'
        SUP top STRUCTURAL
        MUST ( cn )
        MAY ( member $ owner $ description ) )

If you can't change that for some reason, I'd have GAP add in an additional dummy member as you suggested.  You'll probably want to add it in both at time of creation, as well as whenever you process a fullsync message (so that the fullsync doesn't try to remove the dummy member).  Otherwise, if a group is later emptied out entirely, the last real member removal would fail.

I wonder what they were thinking when they said member is MUST.  Having an empty group seems like a perfectly legitimate thing to want to have to me.

-jeaton