alice-teacher AssertionError when dropping a procedure with a parameter

Melanie Lam melanielam at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 25 14:08:36 EST 2024

James,

Thanks for the write up of the bug. The issue is logged and can be tracked
here:
https://github.com/TheAliceProject/alice3/issues/370

As always, we appreciate our community for helping us improve Alice!
Issues can be reported directly to our github issue page:
https://github.com/TheAliceProject/alice3/issues

best
Melanie

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 8:59 AM Vanderhyde, James <vanderhyde at sxu.edu>
wrote:

> I discovered a bug in Alice 3.8 when demoing something in class yesterday.
> Some students experienced it in class as well. It happens on both Mac and
> Windows.
>
> The bug occurs when creating a scene procedure with a parameter. If the
> procedure is already in use, it has to be updated, OK. If you try to drag
> another invocation of the procedure, the drop sometimes generates an
> AssertionError. The Queen pops up. The drag and drop action is interrupted.
> I tell students to save and relaunch Alice. Nothing bad seems to happen
> after.
>
> Here are the steps to reproduce the error:
> 1. Launch Alice. Create a new scene.
> 2. Add a scene procedure.
> 3. Switch back to myFirstMethod and call the new procedure.
> 4. Switch back to the new procedure and add a parameter. Tick the box "I
> understand I need to update the invocations to this procedure."
> 5. Switch back to myFirstMethod.
> 6. Fix the invocation (or not, it doesn't matter)
> 7. Drag a new invocation of the procedure, and drop it _above_ the
> existing procedure invocation.
> This generates an "Assertion Error."
>
> I have been using this same process for teaching parameters for years in
> Alice 3 without encountering this issue, so I think it is new to version
> 3.8. I filed the bug report within the Alice environment.
>
> James
>>
> *James Vanderhyde *Associate Professor
> Computer Science
> Saint Xavier University
> 3700 W. 103rd St.
> Chicago, IL 60655
> 773-298-3454
> vanderhyde at sxu.edu
> sxu.edu

*Melanie Lam* | Director | The Alice Project
*Entertainment Technology Center | Carnegie Mellon University*