alice-teacher Bug in Alice 3 setAdultPersonResource and joints

Vanderhyde, James vanderhyde at sxu.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:55:21 EST 2023

After calling setAdultPersonResource on a Sims character in Alice 3.7, I can no longer move the joints in code. Furthermore, if I made any adjustments to the joints in scene setup, they are wiped out after a call to setAdultPersonResource.

Some years back (February 2021) I reported a bug to this list related to the joints in the Sims characters getting messed up after calling setAdultPersonResouce. This was apparent with the vehicle property and speech bubbles getting messed up. That bug was fixed, but it may be related to the new bug.

Please see attachments for details.

I am using setAdultPersonResource because I want my students to create their own avatar and use it in all their homework assignments. Some years back, we figured out on this list that setAdultPersonResource was the best way to do that. If anyone knows a better way now, I am open to suggestions.

James
—
James Vanderhyde
Associate Professor