alice-teacher Alice--for Chrome Books?

Susan Rivas susanmrivas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:42:38 EDT 2022

Hello,
I've heard that in order for Alice to run on a Chromebook that the security
would have to be disabled; thereby not making it a good choice in a
school environment. To my knowledge, the Chromebooks can only run on
web-based programs for coding and game design.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Take care,
Susan Rivas

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 12:18 PM Melanie Lam <melanielam at cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Laurie,
>
> Alice 2 and Alice 3 should be able to run (with known bugs/caveats) on
> Chromebooks in the Linux development environment. However, it's not
> something that most school IT departments allow for many reasons. We are
> working on providing instructions for installing and running on a
> Chromebook.
>
> thanks,
> Melanie
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 10:49 AM Laurie Cohen <lscteach at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi. I haven't taught Alice in a few years, but I have been asked to
>> introduce it (or something similar)  to a 6th grade class for their
>> electives day, then follow up monthly with them. I have many lessons and
>> activities for Alice 2.0.
>>
>> However, they now only have ChromeBooks.
>>
>> Can Alice be used? I know this is the "Alice Teachers Resource group",
>> but is there another app or website you all would recommend?
>> I introduced Blockly to them last year and they went thru much of what is
>> available on the code.org site.
>>
>> I only have a few days figure this all out.
>>
>> Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Laurie Cohen
>> Educational Consultant
>> Silver Spring, Maryland

Susan Rivas[image: ]