alice-teacher Crashing on "older" apple computers.

Jeremy Woodward jeremy.woodward at me.com
Wed Oct 6 17:44:59 EDT 2021

Hi Alice 3D instructors,

Does anyone here use Apple computers with Alice? I’ve seen crashes happen when certain objects are added - especially when “too many” items are in a scene.

I can’t quite pen down why it happens.  I know a student with a 2010 MacBook Air had to limit the scene to about 3 items otherwise a 4th one would get the “Queen of Hearts Exception”. A student with a 2015 iMac would crash if any bi-pedal object was added.

My guess is that there is a specific memory limit esp on Apple computers for Alice. The only requirement on Alice’s page is a 1GB ram video card.  A 2010 MacBook Air only had 256MB of Video memory, so maybe that’s why?

Thanks!

Jeremy