alice-teacher Alice 3 bug: sluggish selection of TeenPerson

Vanderhyde, James vanderhyde at sxu.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:36:40 EDT 2021

Dear Alice Team,

I had a student show me a problem she was having today with Alice appearing to freeze when she selected a TeenPerson object in the scene. I figured out it was not freezing, but sluggish to respond, like almost 4 seconds. It happens whether you pick with the mouse in the scene, or select the object from one of the menus. Other objects in the scene are fine; just the TeenPerson is having this problem. I took one of the projects and deleted everything except the offending person, and the problem is still present, although less pronounced. You can click the ground and click back on the person to see the problem.

The student was running Windows; I have a Mac. The problem was present in both. I am attaching the problem files. I am running Alice 3.6.0.1 build 500. I was not able to create my own project with this problem.

James
—
James Vanderhyde
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Computer Science
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd St.
Chicago, IL 60655