alice-teacher Collaborative Alice Projects

Margaret Meijers mmeijers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 00:29:43 EDT 2020

I teach an online course in Alice to year 5 & 6 students (10-12 yr olds) in
schools across Tasmania (Australia) as part of an extension curriculum.
The students have only started using Alice in March this year, so their
skills are still very basic, but I thought others might be interested in a
very successful collaborative project I've just done.  It was called Pass
It On, and basically it had 4 rounds, where each round the projects were
passed on by me to a student in a different school.

Week 1: Students all designed an Alice scene and sent it to me.  I then
sent the project on to the next student in a different school.
Week 2: Students had to code a story starter.
Week 3: Students added a story middle
Week 4: Students add a story ending.

So in the end, each project had been completed by four different students
from four different schools.  The kids really loved it, and it was a great
way for them to learn from each other as they looked at the code that each
previous student had added in.

You can view some of the finished projects here:
https://vimeo.com/showcase/7267681

Cheers
Margaret Meijers