alice-teacher Export a person in Alice 3

Vanderhyde, James vanderhyde at sxu.edu
Tue Jan 14 11:31:32 EST 2020

Don, I see. That makes sense, although it is not what I want right now. I also think a lot of tutorials are not explaining this correctly. The textbook (Dann, Slater, Paoletti, Culyba) seems to be OK, though, because it talks about exporting the procedure code, not about exporting a class.

What’s weird about this feature to me, is that when you are working in Java and you use a library, you use the library’s hierarchy, and you can’t inject code into arbitrary points in the library. You can only extend their classes to do what you want. This is opposite what Alice 3 allows you to do: you do inject code into the hierarchy, and you can’t create your own classes. I was thinking of the Alice 3 gallery hierarchy like a Java class library, and it really isn’t.

James
—
James Vanderhyde
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Computer Science
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd St.
Chicago, IL 60655