alice-teacher Alice 3 Problems with vehicle and collisions

Vanderhyde, James vanderhyde at sxu.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:51:34 EDT 2020

I have a student who is trying to make a Frogger-style game in Alice 3. The player needs to be able to ride logs across a river. He came up with an approach to set the vehicle of the player character to a log, when a collision event occurs. Then when the collision ends, set the vehicle back to the scene. The approach seemed sound, so I tried it in a simplified program (attached). There seems to be problems both with collision end events and with setting the vehicle. Maybe because the player character is moving?

I came up with a partial fix that is still unstable but works more reliably (attached). It uses a 0-length timer to check for collisions every frame, instead of using the collision event.

Any other suggestions? Or anywhere I should file an Alice 3 bug report?

James
—
James Vanderhyde
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Computer Science
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd St.
Chicago, IL 60655