alice-teacher s Digest, Vol 28, Issue 17

Damon, Susan sdamon at orangeusd.org
Thu Nov 29 14:52:24 EST 2012

1. Video Game project requests
I am currently creating curriculum for a high school Video Game Development class that will be presented at the County level to all school districts. The class can be taught online or in a blended classroom. It will support the Common Core ELA standards. Videos, worksheets, and assessments will also be included. The county is trying to provide this curriculum for FREE to all interested teachers.

Does anybody have any projects, tutorials, or videos they can share with me?  Your name will be included in the curriculum documents as the source of the project, tutorial, or video.

2. Visually Impaired Help
There is a high probability that I will be teaching a 100% blind student in my Video Game development pathway classes. He can use a Braille note and an iPAD.

 *   Has anyone taught Alice to a blind student or knows of anyone who has?
 *   Has anyone used Alice with a screen reader or on an iPAD with the screen reading feature enabled?
 *   Has anyone taught a blind student with a touch-screen PC/monitor before?
 *   Does Alice work on a Touch Screen PC/monitor?

3. Programming competitions
Are there any Alice programming competitions going on this spring? My students participated in the Safe Online Surfing contest a few years ago. I need to prepare in advance because our spring semester is riddled with holidays, State standardized testing, and AP/IB testing.

Thanks for your help,

Susan Damon
Business and DREAM Video Game Development Teacher
Department Chair
Canyon High School
Orange Unified School District
220 S. Imperial Hwy