alice-teacher An apology, a thank you and an announcement

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 20 12:20:51 EST 2012

I am very sorry for the recent flooding of your email inboxes with requests to be added to Wendy Sue Evans Dropbox for access to her curriculum materials. It has been my policy in the past to redirect those inquiries to just the individual, and not to be sent to the group at large (which is the equivalent of reply all:). I cannot give you a good reason why I did not do that this time, but in the future, when it is clear that a message should be sent to an individual and not to the group, I will make sure that happens.

You may also help with this by thinking about whether your response should be to an individual, or to the group at large, and direct it appropriately.

I wish to thank Wendy for her willingness to share her materials, and to manage her Dropbox for the the rest of us. I wish to apologize for not having a repository so that she could share, but not have to manage that sharing.

I would like to inform everyone that I have set up a repository / wiki for sharing Alice 2.x and Alice 3.x resources. I am using the Curriki site, (http://welcome.curriki.org), which you may or may not be familiar with. From their website:

> For 6 years, Curriki has been the leading K-12 global community for teachers, students and parents to create, share, and find free and open learning resources that improve teacher effectiveness and student outcomes. Join the party!

I have set up a group, "Introduction to Programming with Alice" at the following address:

	http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Group_IntroductiontoProgrammingwithAlice/WebHome

You will have to register on Curriki (free) in order to access the materials, but the materials there are available to all, currently under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license.

The offerings there are sparse at the moment, as my goal had been to have this ready for us by mid-December. But with all the interest and activity surrounding Wendy's materials, it seemed to me the better plan was to let everyone know about this, and to start using it now.

Currently, in the curriculum section of the Introduction to Programming with Alice Group, I have attempted to organize by creating the following collections:

	Alice 3.x: Curriculum Resources
	Alice 2.x: Curriculum Resources
	Alice 3.x: Demonstrations and Tutorials
	Alice 2.x: Demonstrations and Tutorials
	Web Resources
	Alice 2.x: Activity Cards
	Alice 3.x: Activity Cards

This is a wiki, in which all are invited to contribute and participate. It is expected that resources that are posted may be shared by all. Any materials that I post from the Alice Project may be modified and reposted with your improvements / modifications.

Over the next month or so I will be posting the resources that we developed in teaching with Alice 3 at Carnegie Mellon, which may be of interest to some of you.

You should note that I have not solved the solutions / students problems here. As best I can tell, there is nothing preventing students from accessing this site, so when you upload projects / exercises to be used in class, it may be best that solutions are not uploaded as well until we as a community figure out how we want to deal with that issue.

The Activity Card section contains one Activity Card for Alice 2 and one for Alice 3 (on how to add 3D text) to serve as a model for what such cards might look like. I have also uploaded a template for each, and I am hoping to "crowd-source" the development of these cards, allowing each of us to create cards that are of interest to us to be shared with the community. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about these cards. In turn, this might serve as an inspiration for the development of other "crowd-sourced" resources. Thoughts?

Again, my apologies and my thanks, and I am looking forward to seeing you all at Curriki…

Happy Thanksgiving,

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University