alice-teacher Variables

Wendy Evans wendy_evans at cvsd.k12.pa.us
Tue Nov 6 08:35:05 EST 2012

I tell my students to imagine a wall full of little boxes. Each box, we can label with a name (the variable name), that way we know where to find it. Then, I explain how that little box can be empty (null) or it can hold a value. What type of value depends on us and how we define it (number, string, Boolean...).  We can store something in the box, like a number, and then we can add to it, subtract from it etc... It can start with a value in it, or we can ask the user to put something in it.  The box (variable) name doesn't change, but what is stored in the box (variable) changes throughout the program as we need it to.

Miss Wendy Sue Evans
Conestoga Valley High School
Math and Computer Science Teacher