alice-teacher Interactive zoo

Wendy Evans wendy_evans at cvsd.k12.pa.us
Thu Nov 1 16:10:30 EDT 2012

The interactive Zoo is a semester long project. Students begin by researching two zoos from somewhere in the U.S. and writing a paper comparing them. Then using these zoos as a model, I assign students into groups of 3-4. Together, they design a zoo and draw a map.
Each student is responsible for a habitat. In that habitat their animals must perform at the push a button/lever, whatever they decide. They set up an interactive panel in front of the habitat and when the user pushes the button the animals inside perform.
They also must include amenities such as bathrooms, water fountains, petting zoo, and landscaping, whatever they can think of to make their Zoo the best. The students get quite creative with this.
The advanced students sometimes have a person that is the user and he/she walks around the zoo. They can enter a letter on the keyboard and the person walks to that particular habitat. Right now my students are in Phase 2: The Map, due tomorrow. Phase Three will be to start building the Zoo World entrance on their jump drives and building each habitat. Those not working on the jump drive are busy "training" their animals to perform. That way they will be ready to add them to the jump drive when the habitat is created and ready to populate (just like a real zoo).

I've attached the first three phases for you to look at. I hope you find them helpful.

Miss Wendy Sue Evans
Conestoga Valley High School
Math and Computer Science Teacher