[Access Lunch] Fwd: New Resource: "Teaching Accessible Computing" (including Robotics + Accessibility)

Aaron Steinfeld steinfeld at cmu.edu
Wed Mar 20 16:13:55 EDT 2024

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Elaine Short <elaine.short at tufts.edu>
Date: Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 2:49 PM
Subject: New Resource: "Teaching Accessible Computing" (including Robotics
+ Accessibility)
To: <HRI-ANNOUNCEMENT at listserv.acm.org>

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you to everyone who gave feedback on the draft of my chapter on
Robotics and Accessibility!  I am pleased to announce that the first
edition of the full book, Teaching Accessible Computing, edited by  Alannah
Oleson, Amy Ko, and Richard Ladner, is now available (for free!) at:

https://bookish.press/tac

My chapter <https://bookish.press/tac/Robotics> covers the basics of
robotics and accessibility and is both a primer for accessibility
considerations in robotics and a resource for teaching accessibility in
robotics classes.  I hope that you will check it out and pass it along to
others who might find it useful.

If you have comments, suggestions for improvement, or would like to
contribute a chapter to a future edition, you can reach out to me or to the
editors, or use the form linked in the table of contents.  More details
from the editors, including links to social media announcements, are linked
below.

Best,
Elaine

More from the editors:

> We’re proud to announce the 1st edition of Teaching Accessible Computing,
a community-sourced book to help computing educators integrate
accessibility topics into their courses:

If you’re on social media, you can also share our posts on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/amyjko/status/1767281999461654576?s=20> and LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ajko_were-proud-to-announce-the-1st-edition-of-activity-7173047926548578304-2pyK/>
.

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bookish.press/tac__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!gWHBUJRbA3QKiwagic1F86LESH4vzbiTVo7UyT1z7OaG3uZTM395p5rNDaCaU05JZBkxNVuIGzZdEA$>If
you want to help create a digital world that everyone can use, read the
first few chapters, and the chapters on topics you teach, and start
integrating accessibility topics into your teaching!

This book is a living document. See the table of contents for how to submit
improvements and ideas for new chapters. You can also sign up for
notifications about new content and editions.

--
Elaine Schaertl Short
elaine.short at tufts.edu

Clare Boothe Luce Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer Science
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (*secondary appointment*)
Tufts University

♿️🏳️‍🌈 she/her
Book a short advising appointment
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/appointments/AcZssZ3Fz0bBPRKSbqg-BjxT9KInWSs9dhzCI7wMLzA=>

HRI-ANNOUNCEMENT-signoff-request at LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

If you don't already have a password for the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server, we
recommend that you create one now. A LISTSERV password is linked to your
email address and can be used to access the web interface and all the lists
to which you are subscribed on the LISTSERV.ACM.ORG server.

To create a password, visit:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?GETPW1

Once you have created a password, you can log in and view or change your
subscription settings at:

https://LISTSERV.ACM.ORG/SCRIPTS/WA-ACMLPX.CGI?SUBED1=HRI-ANNOUNCEMENT