[Access Lunch] Fwd: [AccessSTEM] This week in accessibility

Carl Haynes-Magyar chaynesm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 12 16:15:04 EDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Amanda Lacy <lacy925 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AccessSTEM] This week in accessibility
To: AccessSTEM Team participants <accessstem at u.washington.edu>

I liked the article on remote options. I can strongly relate to the
autistic student in the loud lecture hall. I'm blind, as well as
hypersensitive, and I literally don't understand how it's physically
possible to learn at all in a room with 100+ students making noise and
talking, especially when they break out into groups and everyone is
talking. How can you possibly pick out a single individual? I just hear
noise. I sometimes wonder if everyone else is just pretending that they're
working in these nonfunctional spaces.