[Access Lunch] This Week (tomorrow!) - Remembering Judy Heumann (1947-2023)

Joon Jang jiwoongj at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 21 22:01:53 EDT 2023

Hi everyone, sorry for the late update on this week’s Access Lunch. For tomorrow’s session we’ll have a brief presentation celebrating and showcasing the life and work of disability activist Judith (Judy) Heumann, who passed away around two weeks ago. Not only was Judy considered the “Mother of the Disability Rights” movement in the United States (and beyond), her fingerprints are all over seminal moments of disability related activism, philanthropy, and policy setting in the US- which we’ll discuss and hope to do justice.

As a stretch goal, I think tomorrow’s session would also be a great time for us to remember and share the various connections that we have with disability outreach and rights groups here in Pittsburgh.

As usual, we’ll have our session at Wed 3/22 noon-1PM at NSH 1109 and Zoom (cmu.zoom.us/j/99230267646?pwd=Q2pPRUtBQVJBd25lZmlpNjBYQTZGdz09). Food (pizza) will be provided!

hope to see you there,
Joon

---
JiWoong (Joon) Jang, (he/him) - joonbug.me
Ph.D. Student, Human-Computer Interaction Institute
Carnegie Mellon University | School of Computer Science