[Access Lunch] Readings for 4/22

Amy Pavel apavel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 19 22:19:57 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

This week for accessibility lunch we will read a recent CHI 2021 pre-print titled “Understanding Data Accessibility for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities”. This paper is by Keke Wu, Emma Petersen, Tahmina Ahmad, David Burlinson, Shea Tanis, Danielle Albers Szafir (all from CU Boulder) and it won a best paper award!

Preview: Long-standing guidelines for creating data visualizations are grounded in empirical studies of cognition and perception performed with neurotypical populations. Are these guidelines appropriate for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities? If not, how can we make visualization more cognitively accessible?

Paper Link (also attached): http://cu-visualab.org/IDD/idd/assets/idd.pdf
Zoom Link: https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09

I look forward to discussing visualization guidelines, the findings of this paper and potential implications for other types of design guidelines in HCI (e.g., visual design, UX principles).

Hope to see you there!

Amy