[Access Lunch] Readings for 4/15

Sara Kingsley skingsle at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:59:16 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Below are 2 links to Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) simulators. One is a
link to the mobile application version and the other link is to the desktop
version. I tested each in advance. Using the desktop simulator in Chrome,
with the Chrome captions browser extension, I got the simulator to have
captions. For some reason though, I could not get the desktop simulator to
play with sound. This might be due to my computer screen's sound system so
it might work on your machine. For the mobile version, I downloaded the app
onto my iPhone. I got the app to play with sounds but I could not find a
way to use a voice assistant with the application or captions. However, the
mobile application will give some idea of how loud the alarm is on CGMs.
I'm sorry that there does not seem to be a fully accessible option. To my
knowledge, this might be true for the non-simulator versions too that Type
1 Diabetics wear. I have more research to do on that however. In summary,
the desktop and mobile versions give some idea of the blaring, loud,
obnoxious alarm system and the graphical display of continuous glucose
monitors. I'll continue to experiment and test options for accessible
versions and send out anything I find, if people are interested to try
the applications. Also apologies, I wanted to send the links sooner before
the lunch in case people were interested to try one of the systems
mentioned in the readings but I was testing options. I am happy to play the
desktop and mobile simulators during lunch if that's of interest but we
could also do that later if we want to focus on the readings. Please let me
know at lunch. Thanks, Sara

Desktop version of the CGM simulator:
https://www.dexcomprovider.com/dexcom-g6-cgm-simulator/?_ga=2.49882022.1821398014.1618500960-286051674.1618500960

Apple iPhone version of the CGM simulator:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dexcom-g6-simulator/id1352389740

Android Phone version of the CGM simulator:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dexcomg6simulator

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM Cynthia Bennett <cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>

> We’ll read 2 (attached) pieces this week on challenges and opportunities
> for HCI to inform the design of diabetes technologies. They were selected
> by Sara Kingsley. The first article surveyed challenges users with type 1
> diabetes have using insulin pumps. The second reading overviews
> advancements in DIY diabetes management technologies and associated pros
> and cons of unregulated medical technology.
>

> *As always, join us at Accessibility Lunch on Thursday, April 15th at 1:30
> PM EST here. **To access the meeting, please use this Zoom conference
> link: https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09
> <https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09>*
>

> Finally, please be in touch when you’d like to lead discussion and we will
> work together to choose a reading.
>

> See you Thursday,
>

> Cynthia L. Bennett <https://www.bennettc.com/>
>
> Pronouns: she/her <https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>
>

> Twitter <https://twitter.com/clb5590?lang=en>
>

> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/clb5590/>
>

> Google Scholar
> <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4S6LJh8AAAAJ&hl=en>

*Sara Kingsley*
PhD student, Human-Computer Interaction Institute
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
website: www.sarakingsley.info
Pronouns: she/her

*want to chat about research, projects or coursework?*
please feel free to schedule time to meet with me at this link, thank you:
https://calendly.com/sarakingsley/sara-schedule
<https://calendly.com/sarakingsley/schedule>