[Access Lunch] Accessibility lunch talk by Kim Baraka (12-1p in NSH 1109)

Amy Pavel apavel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 2 17:08:51 EST 2020

Hi everyone!

For accessibility lunch this week, Kim Baraka will speak about his work on expanding robot roles and capabilities in socially assistive domains with a focus on autism therapy.  Kim is a dual Ph.D. candidate in Robotics between CMU and the Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal. The full title and description of the talk is included below. As always, there will be lunch provided.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Title: Expanding the Assistive Capabilities of Robots by Leveraging Standardized Interactive Tools

Speaker: Kim Baraka

Description: In this talk, I will outline our efforts into expanding robots' capabilities and roles in socially assistive domains, with a focus on autism therapy. I will present two research directions related to social assistance. The first is concerned with having the robot automatically personalize its social behavior using decision-theoretic methods in order to accommodate for individual differences in autism severity. The second is concerned with developing a simulation platform for complementing the training of autism professionals, where the robot emulates a range of responses of autistic individuals in standardized interactions. Our work is expected to contribute to technological advances for a richer set of interactions with robots in assistive contexts.