[Access Lunch] Thursday! Greg Weinstein speaks on inclusive design in a corporation!

Cole Gleason cgleason at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 3 12:19:25 EST 2019

Hi all!

We will have our final accessibility lunch of the semester this Thursday in
NSH 1109!

*Looking for speakers! *We are looking for people to present at
accessibility lunch in Spring 2020. Please contact me with suggestions for
speakers to invite!

Speaker: Greg Weinstein
Title: Can Inclusive Design and Research Happen in a Corporation?
Time: 12/05 12:00 pm (noon)
Location: NSH 1109

Abstract: Most of us can agree that accessibility is socially valuable. But
creating an inclusive experience or design can be especially challenging in
a corporate environment where many different factions compete for attention
on their own creations. In this context, "accessibility" is far too often
seen as an unprofitable niche—as well as a source of "bad" design—and is
therefore neglected in the product design process. In this talk, I will
reflect on the research I conducted at Uber into the mobility and
transportation experiences of people who are blind or visually impaired. In
this research I encountered a number of obstacles in the form of
institutional procedures, legal strictures, and general corporate culture.
It became evident that an environment like Uber's cannot easily or quickly
accommodate inclusive research and design, but there are still paths to
accessibility through the tangle of corporate branches.

Bio: Greg Weinstein is a design research and strategist, as well as an
acoustic anthropologist. He holds a Ph.D. in Ethnomusicology from the
University of Chicago and, in his first career, he conducted research on
classical music recording studios in the United Kingdom. He now works as a
user research consultant in industry, with specialties in accessibility and
sound.

See you there!
Cole Gleason