[Access Lunch] Accessibility lunch tomorrow (11/7, 12-1p in NSH 1109)

Amy Pavel apavel at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 6 14:07:39 EST 2019

Hello everyone!

Please join us for accessibility lunch tomorrow (Thursday 11/7) in NSH 1109. This week Sooyeon Lee is visiting from Penn State and will give a talk about interactive dialog systems for people with visual impairments. I've included more information below! As usual, there will be lunch :)

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Amy

Speaker: Sooyeon Lee (Ph.D. candidate)

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~sul131/

Title: Effective and Pleasant Interactive Dialog System for People with Visual Impairments
 People with visual impairments need guidance to perform tasks and activities due to their limited vision. Especially grocery shopping is considered as a very challenging task. This is because it comprises several subtasks: navigation, object recognition, identification, and object acquisition, each of which requires different types of guidance with different kinds of information presentation and delivery. This complexity in the need of assistance makes shopping independently difficult. My research centers on the design of grocery shopping aids, particularly on the assistive interface that could deliver the information needed accordingly and create an interaction that could help facilitate independent shopping experiences. My research approach has two parts - ethnographic field studies to understand the people and the shopping practice and experimental studies to investigate and evaluate the smart camera prosthetic interventions.

In this talk, I will present insightful findings from the ethnographic based research regarding the exhaustive shopping practices, collaborative shopping practices with a sighted helper, and an emerging practices of remoted sighted assistant. I then discuss prosthetics interventions for assistive guidance with five types of feedback signaling, multimodal feedback comprising speech and haptic vibration, and conversational assistance with haptic vibration support. Finally, I will discuss my future research directions guided by the insightful findings of the previous research. Areas of research include smart and intelligent interactive system design, assistive AI design, and the interaction between AI and humans of varying abilities.