[Access Lunch] Accessibility group lunch and a related talk this Thursday 10/31

Amy Pavel apavel at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 29 12:11:18 EDT 2019

Hello everyone!

We're lucky to have two talks this Thursday! For accessibility group lunch from 12-1pm in NSH 1109, Abdullah Ali will talk about distributed interaction design. Earlier in the morning from 10-11am in Gates 7501, Dragan Ahmetovic and Sergio Mascetti will speak about supporting learning and mobility of people with visual impairments.

Please see the brief descriptions below for more information. Feel free to respond with any questions and forward to others who might be interested.

Hope to see you all there!

Amy

Talk descriptions -

Time and Location: 10/31, 12-1pm, NSH 1109, lunch provided
Title: Distributed Interaction Design
Speaker: Abdullah Ali
Abstract: Abdullah’s work is focused on formulating methods and building systems that leverage input from crowds of end-users to design technological innovations. His work answers the following questions: How can we include more diverse end users in the process of designing new technologies? How can we handle subjective design input on a large scale? How can we evaluate interaction designs with diverse end users on a large scale efficiently? His research in the Human-Computer Interaction field sits at the intersection of Design, Human Computation, Machine Learning and Accessibility.

Time and Location: 10/31, 10-11am, GHC (Gates) 7501
Title: Supporting learning and mobility for people with visual impairments
Speakers: Dragan Ahmetovic and Sergio Mascetti
Abstract: Mobile devices originally raised a number of accessibility challenges for visually impaired people. Nowadays, most of these challenges have been addressed and mobile devices are convenient platforms to run assistive technologies that support visually impaired people to access both information and the real world. In this talk we present our activity aimed at creating mobile assistive technologies to support education and mobility. The research, conducted in the last 10 years, spans various disciplines, including mobile data management, HCI, computer vision, and image sonification.